Thursday, March 17, 2016

Dr. Rose Heilman-Houser



What courses are you currently teaching?
ELEC 281 Family and Community Diversity and Partnerships
ELEC 470 Social Studies and Citizenship
ELEC 420 FIELD COORDINATOR

What are you most proud of concerning those courses?
I am working to assure that students are truly learning. In ELEC 281 we have done some reviews to reinforce information. In 470, I am working very hard to make social studies life applicable. As the field coordinator, I have tried to place students where they will be happy and learn.

What scholarly/projects are you working on in your classes?
Students in 470 have made some amazing Social Studies games and learning centers. One semester, we gave them to teachers who were greatly appreciative and are using them in their classrooms.

What student stories can you share?
This is hard. There are so many stories from the hilarious to great sadness and everything in between. I think the greatest story is those that stay in touch after they graduate. It is wonderful to be able to count former students as peers and friends and to watch their lives being enriched as they get jobs, marry, have children, and grow as individuals.

What do you do for fun during your free time or school break?
I do a lot of reading and course revising. I love spending time with my family. I am an animal lover and I enjoy spending time with all my pets that include: 11 goats, 6 alpacas, a miniature donkey, a pony, a potbelly pig, and cats and dogs.

What most do you appreciate about SRU?
The students! I love getting to know the students and working with them. It is the best part of the job. SRU students are awesome! I also appreciate that the faculty gets along and supports one another.

What made you want to be a faculty member at the college level?
The opportunity to work with so many students and hopefully help them to become teachers that will go out and have a positive impact on their students and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment