Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Dr. Jason Hilton



What courses are you currently teaching? 
My regular fall schedule includes: Methods of Instruction in Secondary Content, Teaching of Social Studies in Secondary Schools, American Education in the 21st-Century, and I also oversee a number of pre-student teaching field students. Beyond my regular schedule, I am also teaching a FYRST Seminar course and I am teaching once a week at Aliquippa High School as part of the Stonehouse CPH: Humanities Ladder Initiative.
What are you most proud of concerning those courses? 
My students! Slippery Rock students have an energy and excitement about the future that makes me excited to be a part of their journey.
What scholarly/projects are you working on in your classes? 
Blending my scholarly interests with my teaching, I enjoy making sure that my students are up-to-date with the latest ways to infuse technology into all parts of the teaching process, thus preparing students to teach the “digital native” generation. I am also honored to be a part of the Professor Protégé program, which allows me to work with some of our most talented incoming freshman in a research fellowship.
What student stories can you share? 
The best stories come from those connections made that last beyond the SRU experience. I tell my students that I come with a “lifetime guarantee.” Many of them contact me after they graduate to ask me teaching-related questions or to celebrate their accomplishments with me. These are my favorite moments.
What do you do for fun during your free time or school break? 
I like to be outdoors. Between white water kayaking, mountain biking, bouldering, golf, ice hockey and now sailing, I try to stay pretty active. The best moments are when I can share parts of these activities with my two-year old son.
What most do you appreciate about SRU? 
The campus community. My colleagues, both within the College of Education and across the entire university, are some of the most intelligent, professional, productive and dedicated faculty members imaginable.
What made you want to be a faculty member at the college level? 
It is part of a pyramid scheme I have in my mind to change the world. Work with great students at Slippery Rock - they become great teachers -they have their own great students – they go on to do great things - our world is made a better place.
If you could have one super power what would it be? 
Why? I do have a super power, I am an educator! My students have this power as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment