Thursday, September 29, 2016

Dr. Toni Mild


What courses are you currently teaching?
SPED 121 - High Incidence Disabilities
SPED 230 - Developmental Disabilities
SPED 809 - Transition from School to Adult Life
What are you most proud of concerning those courses?
I am most proud of my students and the thoughtful questions they ask. This shows me that I have them engaged in the content and interested in knowing more about it. This will make them better educators in the near future!
What scholarly/projects are you working on in your classes?
One of my classes just finished presentations on physical and eating competencies for students with severe physical disabilities. Another class is  creating a handbook as a resource for themselves, parents, and/or students on specific Assistive Technology devices that would be helpful for students with hearing impairments, visual impairments, autism and physical impairments. Another class is completing a competency log that requires them to create a Re-evaluation Report, an Individualized Education Program, a Behavior Intervention Plan, Progress Monitoring Data, and twolesson plans that they are required to teach.
What student stories can you share?
My favorite student stories are the ones that end with success. There is nothing better as a college professor than to watch a student push through all of the hardships and obstacles that they are enduring and to ultimately become a success story. One of my students lost both of their parents at a young age and took on the role of "caretaker" to their younger sibling. They continued this "role" even through college. Although they had many reasons to make excuses, miss class, not get assignments turned in or just to simply drop out, they didn't. They pushed through, overcame the many odds against them and now own a successful daycare facility.  I am truly blessed to have been able to be a part of that student's story.

What do you do for fun during your free time or school break?
When I have free-time, I spend it with my husband and three children. That usually means being at one of our children's sporting events. When I am not in a gym, on a ball field, etc. our family likes to spend time at the beach with friends and family.

What most do you appreciate about SRU?
As a new employee, I most appreciate the friendliness, kindness and respect that I have experienced across the campus. It is also very refreshing to see an institution be so "student-centered" in all of its decision-making!

What made you want to be a faculty member at the college level?
My passion is advocating for all students and how they are treated in schools. Being at the college level allows me to shape future teachers and ultimately be a larger "change agent" than I was within the K-12 school system. I can reach more future teachers and help our youth get the best teachers possible - which is what each and every child deserves.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be? Why?
If I could have one superpower, it would be to make all students, no matter their age, "abilities" shine brighter/stand out more than their disabilities. A student with a disability is made up of many things. That disability is just one of those things. It is not solely who they are and it shouldn't define them.

No comments:

Post a Comment