Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Dr. Amanda Young

 

1. Tell me about yourself. What is your educational background and where have you worked previously?

This is my second year at SRU, I teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Adapted Physical Activity (APA) in the Physical and Health Education department. I am also the APA minor coordinator. My undergrad degree is in Kinesiology (physical education) from Texas Christian University and my Masters and PhD are in adapted physical education (APE) from Texas Woman’s University (TWU).  Before coming to SRU, I taught preschool and elementary APE in Texas for 9 years, and I taught in the graduate school at TWU after I graduated.


2. What attracted you to Slippery Rock University, and in particular, the College of Education?

SRU has a long standing history of APA programming and degrees, and both of my APA faculty colleagues have degrees from TWU too. I also strongly support the school wellness education model that is taught to our undergraduate PETE students.


3. What is your favorite course to teach? Why?

How can I pick 1 favorite?! I love all of my courses. Currently, I am teaching a University Seminar and I love teaching my freshman about disability sports, and opening their eyes to sports and competitions for individuals with disabilities. I love working with our graduate students, they have such a thirst for knowledge! My intro to APA class is so fun because I get to teach about all kinds of disabilities, and I love my lifespan class because I usually get students for a second time and I get to teach about my favorite population of early childhood kiddos. Every class I teach spreads awareness and advocacy for physical activity for people with disabilities. The more students we have that understand that importance the better!


4. What is your favorite aspect of working in Physical and Health Education?

My colleagues are some of the best people I know. As a new faculty, I am still learning the ropes, but everyone has been so supportive. Also, the students are wonderful and will have a great impact on children and youth in their futures. I also love our movement based classes and the many practicum experiences we provide for our students.  


5. What were you like as a college student?

At TCU, I was a good student, an active intramural participant, I was in a sorority and I loved the college sport scene – Go Frogs! As a graduate student, I was teaching full time during the day and taking classes at night. I learned how to manage my time, and prioritize my life – I also developed a coffee habit!


6. What do you know now that you wish you would have known as a college student?

The importance of scheduling! I rely on my calendar and schedule and I have to make a point to schedule in time for exercising, scholarship, and things I often forget about!


No comments:

Post a Comment