Thursday, January 30, 2014

Dr. Jeremy Lynch


What courses are you currently teaching and what are you most proud of about those courses?
I currently teach Special Education 430: Positive Behavior Strategies and various courses in our online graduate programs. I truly enjoy the 430 courses because I get to work with a wide variety of students from colleges across the campus. My students are education majors, but also, psychology, public health, and therapeutic recreation majors. I appreciate the conversations we have and the dialogue that comes from students with varied educational backgrounds.
This semester I am teaching one section as part of a unique block of courses located in Case Avenue Elementary School in the Sharon Area School District. I am grateful that I have been invited to be a part of this special program that connects my students with teachers, administrators, and young learners in local school systems and provides them with “hospital model” approach to learning.

What scholarly/service projects are you working on and what are you most proud about those projects?
I currently have several scholarly projects that I am working on. I am currently the lead investigator on a project that is examining the College of Education’s Professor Protégé Program. Along with Dr. Carm DeCarlo and Dr. Geraldine Jenny, we are looking at the effectiveness of this unique faculty-student engagement program at SRU.
Staring later this spring, I will be leading a group of graduate student researchers from SRU along with faculty and student researchers from Westminster College on a study that will investigate the efficacy of mathematical problem solving framework for young learners in grades 2, 3, and 4. I am very excited about this project because it allows me to work with both students and other faculty to bring meaningful instructional strategies to young learners in our local community.

What student success stories can you share?
Since joining SRU in 2012, I have been inspired by my students’ commitment to their education. In just 3 short semester, I have met some amazing young professionals who represent what SRU is about and have made an impact in their fields and in their communities.

What do you do for fun during time off/school break?
I have two young daughters so my time off is spent sled riding, swimming, going to the park, and playing every board game imaginable.

What do you like best or appreciate most about Slippery Rock?
The people and students. Having grown up in the Pittsburgh area I was aware of SRU’s reputation as an institute of higher education, and based on my experience it lives up to that reputation. I sincerely enjoy coming to class and I appreciate the hard work of all people across campus that make that possible and make my job easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment