Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Dr. Matthew Erickson



What courses are you currently teaching and what are you most proud of about those courses?
Currently, I am teaching Assessment in Special Education, Special Education Law and Procedures, and a Special Education Supervision Practicum.
I’m most proud of collaboration that takes place in within the Special Education Department to make each course during student’s professional semester relevant and engaging.

What scholarly/service projects are you working on and what are you most proud about those projects?
Most recently, I’m working on a publication focusing on the impact of blended learning on achievement of students with special needs. This semester, members of the Special Education Department and I will be presenting at the Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy at Virginia Tech, and the Council for Exceptional Children in Philadelphia, Pa. This semester, I also plan to complete test preparation courses to assist students as they prepare for the Pennsylvania Educator Certification Tests (PECT).
Over this past year, I have also joined the Syria Shriners to raise money to aid children with orthopedic impairments and burns. The Syria Shriners operate 19 hospitals nationwide that provide services to families free of charge.

What student success stories can you share?
A number of recent graduates have found employment within schools where they completed their three week special education field experience. Their hard work and dedication has provided exciting opportunities soon after graduation. I’m very proud of how they represent the Special Education Department and Slippery Rock University.

What do you do for fun during time off/school break?
Most of my time is dedicated to my family. My wife Nicole and I have been blessed with two great children, Aidan (5), and Rylee (3). As they become involved in community and school related activities our time is happily spent at practices, playdates, grandma’s house, movie theatres, and more.

What do you like best or appreciate most about Slippery Rock?
I truly appreciate the sense of community in Slippery Rock. The relationships that are formed between the faculty and students make the SRU experience unlike any other college or university. I believe the level of customer service is second to none. I appreciate the opportunity to be part of a great university community.

No comments:

Post a Comment