Thursday, February 6, 2014

Dr. Marybeth Miller



What courses are you currently teaching and what are you most proud of about those courses?
PE 754 – Leadership in Adapted Physical Activity – my greatest pride is to actively contribute to the graduate level knowledge and skill development the vast amount of experience in programming and leading initiatives throughout my professional career involving individuals with disabilities and the many professional in health care and education who work with them.
PE 243 – Educational Movement in Health and Wellness – my greatest pride in this course is the creation of Moving Concepts, a course embedded on-campus service-learning program involving over 50 preschool children with and without disabilities who are taught by the undergraduate students enrolled in the course from Physical and Health Education, Early Childhood and Special Education and Elementary Education. While the undergraduate study from me, they apply their knowledge and skill set to the children. It is free program and there is no other like it in the surrounding area.
PE 455 – Student Teaching Supervision – it is wonderful to mentor teacher candidates in their transition from the classroom to the school communities in developing themselves as a professional educator.

What scholarly/service projects are you working on and what are you most proud about those projects?
My scholarship includes research centering upon the effect of service-learning as a pedagogy in preparing future teachers. This recently resulted in the publication of my co-edited book Service –Learning in Physical Education and Related Professions: A Global Perspective;
I am the 2013-2014 Pennsylvania State Association for Health, Physical Education , Recreation and Dance University Teacher of the Year – an honor presented to be my the top state-level peers of my professional association (PSAHPERD)
I serve on various Department and University Committees but what I am very excited about is serving as a Co-chair the President’s Commission for Disability Issues here at Slippery Rock University. This is a significant leadership position that impacts the actions and reactions of faculty, administrators, staff and students on this campus.

What student success stories can you share?
Those that graduate from the PHE program and are rewarded with meaningful employment in the profession of teaching or a related profession. It is wonderful to hear back from them and the positive feedback they provide about the program and the faculty who teach in it.

What do you do for fun during time off/school break?

I am a very active individual – always have been my entire life. I enjoy running (long distance) and am preparing to run the Pittsburgh Half Marathon, I snowshoe, ski, winter camp, backpack, I love to ride my bicycles and tour around the great lakes and the trail from Washington, DC to Pittsburgh. I play the Bodhran which is an Irish hand drum one would see in groups of musicians playing traditional Irish music. I also love to watch birds to relax.

What do you like best or appreciate most about Slippery Rock?

SRU provides me the opportunities to develop my best professional self. I work in an amazing College of Education and in particular a fantastic and nationally known Physical and Health Education Department. The windows of opportunity to thrive in my scholarship, service and best-practice high quality teaching have been very rewarding. As well, I find the faculty, administration, staff and students to be kind and caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment