Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Dr. Donald Strano


What courses are you currently teaching and what are you most proud of about those courses?
I teach all Graduate Level courses.
Foundations of Adulthood--- I am most proud of this course because it allows for a masters of arts in community counseling. Students get to narrow their focus on content based on population. Youth, addiction, adult, gerontology etc.
The content is more advanced and then their skills advance. This was taught in Australia and it focused on narrative therapy which is story based on therapy. Instruction comes from having students do some reading and reflection but instead they are having students tell a story that stands out and has meaning/connects. I stress the application of these narratives and incorporating this method in multiple courses.
Family Counseling
Student Affairs Practicum course

What scholarly/service projects are you working on and what are you most proud about those projects?
I traveled to Australia to enhance my counselor identity development. I conducted a qualitative study about the narrative therapy and asked professionals to tell me how they are as a professional. I take a video recording of this interview and have a group of 4-5 people watch the recording and they interview each other on what they thought. Then the second recording is brought in, we watch the group and we have a final interaction. When training professionals we talk about not bringing in personal stuff so we create this idea of what it means to be professional. Expert in knowledge and narrows what a professional is. The research is to think about how counseling trainers create richer and fuller history, background, etc. Connection of personal and professional life.

What student success stories can you share?
One recent student is a professor at Youngstown training professionals.
Any of my students who went to get doctoral degrees to teach at a college level or be involved as a doctorate in psychology.
Generally, if you’re in this region, at any location that provides services, there is at least one or more of SRU’s graduates. We staff many of the facilities with our graduates. We are taking care of the people in Western PA. In some ways I have impact on thousands of people in this area due to staffing agencies all starting with me. One student is taught by me, who then becomes a counselor and helps people, who then becomes a college professor educating hundreds of students per year. In a way it is a ripple effect which starts with me.

What do you do for fun during time off/school break?
I enjoy archery hunting and fly fishing in the Neshannock area or Slippery Rock Creek. I like to watch baseball and hockey. I also enjoy gardening and traveling.
What do you like best or appreciate most about Slippery Rock?
I enjoy the notion of training professionals and allow people to develop as professionals. The value, I am a firm believer of great quality regional schools that are accessible to citizens of the area. If it wasn’t for the state to make this available, students would suffer. If it wasn’t for this I would be an unemployed waste. There is such competitiveness around this area and having this access to a good quality education is essential. The mission is to serve the people in the area and the practitioner value is why this area is the best for Psychology Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment