Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Dr. Carmine Decarlo



What courses are you currently teaching and what are you most proud of about those courses?
I am teaching ELEC 460: Instructional Strategies for Science and Technology Pre-K-4. I am most proud of the fact that I have the opportunity to integrate authentic teaching experiences into the course assignments for my students. I also supervise student teachers and I am exceedingly proud of how well each and every one of them represents SRU.

What scholarly/service projects are you working on and what are you most proud about those projects?
I was part of the grass roots efforts that developed the Professor Protégé Program which is currently in its second year of development. I am really proud of being involved in the program because I enjoy being a mentor to freshmen and working one on one with them to give them a behind the scenes look at what it takes to be an effective teacher. Another accomplishment that I am very proud of is the creation of the elementary “science room” in the McKay building. Using grant monies, my colleague Dr. Snyder and I, completely revamped McKay 125 and designed a state of the art science lab, complete with Smart Boards, Ipad cart, and a plethora of science supplies. As far as service projects, I am a member many committees at the department, college, and university level. Currently, I am the COE representative to the University Promotions Committee, and play an important role in the fair evaluation of my peers’ academic performance, service, and teaching effectiveness.

What student success stories can you share?
I got a call from a former student the other day, Jimmie Altman, who told me of his new job teaching third grade math in Texas, and all about his growing family. It was delightful to hear from him. Over the past 25 years, I have received many, many calls and emails like Jimmie’s. It reminds me that my “success” as a teacher educator is really tied to my students’ success as teachers. The countless emails and photos and phone calls from former students over the years that describe their teaching position, and their classrooms, and the joy they get from teaching, are what make me feel that my career has been a successful one.

What do you do for fun during time off/school break?
I love all things outdoors! I am absolutely addicted to golf…I’ve not gotten any better at it in the last five years that I’ve played, but I keep hoping and trying! My new passion is stand up paddle boarding, but the kid in me still feels the thrill of a good, old fashioned, bike ride on country roads.

What do you like best or appreciate most about Slippery Rock?
I have always, since day one, appreciated the fact that I can pursue any scholarly interest, service project, or new teaching strategy I want, and find SUPPORT here…either through my Department Chairperson, Dean, or even the President. There has always been the sense that nothing is impossible here at SRU…If I can dream it, I can achieve it, and I can find the support I need to make it a reality. I have loved the freedom to develop new ideas and new courses and new projects, knowing all along that I am not alone in whatever I pursue. I appreciate the “family” that I have found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment