Monday, March 16, 2015

Dr. Stacy Jacob


What courses are you currently teaching and what are you most proud of about those courses?
I teach graduate level courses in the Department of Counseling and Development. I mainly teach in the Student Affairs in Higher Education program and my classes include: Introduction to Student Affairs, Organizational Behavior in Higher Education, Leadership and Managing Change in Student Affairs, Higher Education Environments Cultures, and Students, Student Affairs Practicum, and Student Affairs Internship. In addition, I teach Research and Program Assessment for the department.
For the past five or so years I have experimenting with gamification of classes (e.g. using elements of video games, role playing games, and board games to make courses that are a game with games inside them). I have gamified Organizational Behavior in Higher Education. So for instance in this course students earn XP (experience points) to level up (as in a video game) and in the end different levels reached earn different grades. Also as in many games student choose their own quests (assignments), and earn badges and awards.

What scholarly/service projects are you working on and what are you most proud about those projects?
I have been talking with different folks from around the country about gamification. I get contacted about it frequently due to a chapter in a book that I authored and a presentation at national conference. I also research and write about teaching practice in the field of higher education and student affairs.

What student success stories can you share?
I have only been at SRU for a short time and so I only have two classes of graduates with whom I have worked. It is great to see them take their first jobs in colleges and universities.

What do you do for fun during time off/school break?
My husband and I are renovation an over 100 year old house in Pittsburgh and that takes up a lot of our time. This summer we will be tearing out the kitchen and redoing it. I also paint, read, love movies (especially ones that take place on college campuses), and I love games!
What do you like best or appreciate most about Slippery Rock?
My colleagues--they are talented, supportive and they really care about teaching students.

No comments:

Post a Comment