Monday, March 2, 2015

Mrs. Pamela Arnhold


What courses are you currently teaching and what are you most proud of about those courses?
I currently teach Adapted Aquatics and Adapted and Therapeutic Exercise. I really like the fact that we have practicum experiences with children through adults with disabilities incorporated in the classes, as I feel that “hands-on” experiences are often times the most valuable. Kindergarten through sixth grade with intellectual disabilities and autism spectrum and the students at Slippery Rock will learn how to lead a lesson in the water with them. In addition, I am assisting in the Transition Program as the Evaluation Coordinator.

What scholarly/service projects are you working on and what are you most proud about those projects?
As of next week, I will be taking 15 students along with Dr. Kim Smith from Exercise Science and her 20 students to Paris, France to explore health and wellness opportunities for people with and without disabilities. We will also be meeting the President of the International Federation of Adapted Physical Activity at her Institute while we are there as well as visiting the University of Paris to visit their Adapted Physical Activity and Exercise Programs. These travel opportunities assist me in getting our Slippery Rock University students to develop of love of travel and learning about other cultures.
I am the faculty advisor for the Adapted Physical Activity Council. Next Wednesday, March 4th we will be leading the university in the “End the R Word” Campaign. We were one of the first 10 universities in the country to start this Special Olympics initiative.

What student success stories can you share?
“How long do you have?” We have had numerous students who have developed a passion for working with people with disabilities and did not necessarily find that out until they began taking our classes. With this list of many students, I have stayed in contact with them. It is the ripple effect. I teach them, they teach others, who teach others which all started with myself and the other faculty at SRU.

What do you do for fun during time off/school break?
My husband and I like to bicycle individually and on a tandem. We have a small pond/lake where we kayak and canoe. I like to travel to see our children and our families. I also enjoy refinishing furniture and reading.

What do you like best or appreciate most about Slippery Rock?
I like the fact that students in the Adapted Physical Activity minor and Master’s degree programs really get to know us. We tend to be a family! I am extremely proud of the students and faculty and everything that we have accomplished over the many years here at SRU.

No comments:

Post a Comment