Thursday, February 23, 2017

Dr. Deborah Wells


Tell me about yourself. What is your educational background and where have you worked previously? 
I have taught at Slippery Rock University and lived in Slippery Rock since 1987.  I moved here straight out of graduate school at Arizona State University where I earned a Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with a specialization in Literacy.  My first degree was a B.A. in English but I returned to school (at Auburn University in Montgomery, Alabama) to earn a B.S. in Elementary Education and an M.Ed. in Elementary Education and Reading.

I taught kindergarten, first grade and fourth grade in rural Alabama. I also tutored extensively during that time.

What attracted you to Slippery Rock University, and in particular, the education department? 
To be honest, there were two job openings in the area: one at SRU and one at Edinboro.  I asked a friend in Arizona who was from this area where it snowed the most.  She said Edinboro, so I applied to Slippery Rock.

During the job interview, I became very aware of the student oriented focus of the professors on the hiring committee:  Jack Burtch, Tom Kandl, Chuck Rice and Garry Quast.  I felt like the department would be supportive of both faculty and students.  Being part of a strong faculty union was also important.

What research projects are you currently working on?
I am currently analyzing themes and literary elements in Newbery Award winning books between 2000 and 2016. 

What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher/professor? If you cannot narrow it to one, describe one rewarding experience. 
My most rewarding moments come when I see former students in their own classrooms as cooperating teachers. I love to see their dedication and energy as they prepare the next generation of SRU students.

What were you like as a college student?
I loved being in literature classes especially. When I took Children’s Literature for the first time, I knew that is what my career would be.

What do you know now that you wish you would have known as a college student?
I wish I had been more concerned about learning for the sake of learning – not just doing the assignments simply for a grade.

What advice would you give to students who are entering or are currently in the teacher preparation program?
Get as much experience as you can working with children.

What is one way that Slippery Rock University has positively influenced your life and/or professional career?
Slippery Rock University has always given me the opportunity to combine teaching and scholarship.  Throughout my career, I have worked with caring faculty and dedicated students. I wouldn’t change that for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment