Thursday, February 23, 2017

Dr. Joseph Merhaut



Tell me about yourself. What is your educational background and where have you worked previously?
I received my undergraduate degree in special education in 1989 from SRU. I received my Master of Education from California University of PA with Principal certification. In 2000 I received my doctor of education from Duquesne University

What attracted you to Slippery Rock University, and in particular, the education department?
My entire career I always wanted to come back to Slippery Rock so that I could teach pre-service professionals about the realities of education. I have a wealth of experience in the field and I also have a daughter with significant special needs. Sharing my experiences from work and family with my students has been invaluable in their preparation.

What research projects are you currently working on?
I just completed a project on sensory environments specifically for student with Autism. The research was submitted, written up, and published in the Pennsylvania Administrator  magazine in October of 2016.

What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher/professor? If you cannot narrow it to one, describe one rewarding experience.
Being nominated by several of my students, and being the recipient of The 2009 Presidents Award for Excellence in Teaching.

What were you like as a college student?
If you would have told me then that I would end up as a college professor, I would have told you that you are crazy. I wasn't a bad student, but I played football and was a little bit on the crazy side as an undergraduate student. I didn't really get serious until graduate school.

What do you know now that you wish you would have known as a college student?
How important studying really is. The more you learn about your field you will be that much further ahead of the game in the workplace. Study, study, study, and learn as much as you can.

What advice would you give to students who are entering or are currently in the teacher preparation program?
Gain as much experience possible working with diverse groups of children. The diversity includes children with all levels of disability. The law has made a tremendous push on integrating students with disabilities into the general education classroom so having as much experience as possible is crucial. I would also highly recommend that students dual certify in special education. I know principals throughout the entire state, and they tell me that they will only hire teachers with dual certification.

What is one way that Slippery Rock University has positively influenced your life and/or professional career?
Slippery Rock University has given me tremendous flexibility to do research, scholarship, and service in so many different ways. These opportunities have not only impacted my professional life but my personal life as well. SRU is a great place to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment